Monday, May 18, 2009

BBQ = Not a Verb

There has never been a day that I don't remember not liking barbeque. In my Southern household, barbeque is a delicacy not to be taken lightly. It is a cause for a special occasion--an outing with Nanny (my grandmother), a birthday celebration, the Fourth of July, and other holidays. If we don't have barbeque when we're traditionally supposed to, it's practically an apocalypse.


In my TELE 3010 class last fall we watched this hilarious video that is oh-so-true about barbeque, and that--and Garden Mum--inspired this blog post.


The first thing to note about barbeque is that it is specifically meant to talk about a certain way of preparing meat. BBQ can refer to the barbequed meat (usually pork, but chicken, beef, and turkey also) and the sauce used. Don't believe Webster's or any other dictionary that tells you otherwise. If you come to the South, "a barbeque" does not exist. Yankees tend to confuse the words "barbeque" and "cookout." Not the same thing...trust me.


There are four main types of BBQ in the States (http://www.scbarbeque.com/History.html): vinegar, mustard, light tomato, and heavy tomato. The YouTube video also mentions Memphis dry rub and Alabama mayonaise sauce, but these four are definitely the most recognized and most common. I have had occasion to taste most of these. Probably my biggest favorite are the tomato-based sauces; I'm not a fan of the vinegar or the dry rub, and I've never been to Bama to taste the mayonaise. The mustard sauce is decent, but I've only had it from one restaurant in South Carolina, Bobby's Barbeque.


In the Augusta, Georgia, area there are three main BBQ restaurants I've grown up with. Sconyer's, of course, is the best by far. The atmosphere of the restaurant combined with the tender, juicy pulled pork and the sweet sauce is like Heaven to this meatetarian. The Christmas lights to the right are at Sconyer's. Edmund's is a little different; it's more of "fast food BBQ," I suppose. The sauce is cooked into the meat, making it super flavorful but at the same time it kind of hides the pork flavor. I still love it though, and make a point to go to one of the two restaurants whenever I'm home. Mott's is my least favorite. Like Sconyer's, the meat is not cooked in the sauce, but I do think the meat has a different flavor that I'm not partial to.


Now, whenever you get BBQ, there's a couple of sides that are pretty much requirements. First--sweet tea. Hash and rice are a must--that's what's in the bowl in the top picture. Potato salad as well, but I'm not a big fan of that so usually I opt for extra hash and rice. When we have BBQ at the house, usually someone makes deviled eggs (which I also don't eat much of) and baked beans (yeah, not a fan of those either). So take your pick, and for kids you can always get bread and chips.


Hopefully this video will work but if not, I'll post it later. Here's the URL just in case it doesn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

9 comments:

  1. Actually had a recipe one time that called for the mayo based sauce - it was surprisingly good. But I'm a Georgia girl all the way - give me the red stuff.

    BTW - got a real kick out of the BBQ Song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea there was a song about BBQ! I like a mix of vinegar and sweet sauce on my BBQ. I'm glad your taking a stand against vegetarians!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hash=disgusting. And Memphis dry rub is da' bomb yo! Granted, I'm a vegetarian, but when the need comes for some meat, the dry rub is the way to go. Did you know they serve it with spaghetti in Memphis? It's odd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This song is hilarious! too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched the Travel Channel's Man Vs. Wild, and learned some of this information. However, since I'm also from Augusta, your blog was very eye-opening. I've always heard about the bbq restaurants, but never ventured into one. Thanks for the facts, but since I'm not a meatetarian, I still won't eat bbq. Sorry Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love BBQ! especially during the summertime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Sconyers. I want some so badly. :X
    There's a place here in Columbus called Country's BBQ, and their sauce is a light tomato base with some vinegar, but SO GOOD. DEF nothing compared to Sconyers, but it's the next best thing out here. GAH I'm SO HUNGRY FOR HASH & RICE NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I vote class field trip to go try out these different types of bbq.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh No You Didn't open the BBQ Debate!
    I'm a Native of North Carolina and the VERY best BBQ is at Parker's in Wilson!

    ReplyDelete