Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Meet the Meatetarian


Two of my best friends are vegetarians. One chose to give up meat for a healthier lifestyle, and thank God that she is one of those people who actually balances her diet of lettuce and edamame with protein sources and carbs. The other became vegetarian because she lives on a college budget and meat is very expensive to buy all the time when you're not on the University meal plan.

I, on the other hand, am full-on meatetarian. Nope, the word doesn't exist according to spell-check (but then again, neither does "edamame"), yet here you have me. My name is Dallas; I'm 20 years old and a rising pseudo-senior at the University of Georgia where I double-major in Animal Science and Agricultural Communication.

As an Animal Science major, I learn how production agriculture should be done according to USDA standards. I learn how animals should be treated, how they should be handled, and how the meat we eat ends up on our plates. We students have a hand in the entire life cycle of a farm, from the management practices to genetics and breeding, from record-keeping to nutrition.

This blog--written primarily because I'm an Ag Com major and this is what I do for class credit--is going to be a big culmination of meat-related topics. I'll throw in some anecdotes about my classes, but the two main points are for you readers to learn about the meat industry (industrial, organic, natural, etc), and how you can maintain a healthy lifestyle that involves eating meat.

Alright, folks. This southern belle is peacin' out to go find ya'll something good to write about next!

6 comments:

  1. I'm a meatetarian, too! I knew I liked you!! :)
    I look forward to learning more about a healthy diet, including meat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh! You are so fun! I look forward to reading more of your posts! I am your first follower! You know me! I have to help a Sigma Alpha sister out! This is Jennifer (Sigma Alpha Charter Class Alum. just in case you didn't know.) I am The Pink Chick in the blog world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, Dallas! I would love for you to tell others about how not all animals are mistreated and how wonderful meat really is! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to be a vegetarian after I saw a documentary about irresponsible and inhumane practices in the meat production industry. However, I ran into a tiny problem -- I hate vegetables! Needless to say, my vegetarianism lasted about a day. Every time I eat meat though, I feel kind of guilty and wonder if it was responsibly produced. I guess that makes me a meatatarian too. I look forward to hearing more about this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I don't like very many veggies or fruits at all... not on principle or anything, just don't like the flavor unless they are drowned in some kind of sauce or something. "Meatetarian" just means (to me) that I embrace meat as a source of nutrients, and I understand and respect the way it is produced, cooked, and eaten.

    ReplyDelete