Sunday, May 31, 2009

ADSC Meat

Arguably my favorite part of being an Animal Science major is that at some point during my four-year college career, I will actively participate in every single aspect of the life cycle of livestock, from artificial insemination to gestation to finishing to slaughter. And then, of course, eating the food the animal produces.

Obviously, since I like about 10 vegetables, I definitely am a fan of the eating part. But like most people these days, my family is talking about how important it is to know where your food comes from. Now, this doesn't necesarily mean that you should check your milk to see if it comes from happy cows in California, but to me it means that it's important to promote local and sustainable agriculture. I'll do a researched, factual post about this topic later, because I think it plays a vital role in the future of agriculture in the US.

Tonight is totally my opinion on my favorite place in Athens to get truly local food-- the Animal and Dairy Science department retail meat sales. There is no question where the meat came from and how it was raised. All of the beef, pork, and lamb sold at the retail meat sales are raised and harvested exactly according to USDA standards on UGA-owned land by students and faculty.

Because there is so much research being done at UGA's three campuses to determine genetics for carcass quality, the meat is extremely high quality. Obviously since I haven't done a post yet about how to choose your cuts, I won't go into much detail here, but from experience everything I have tried from the meat sales is delicious. I've had a couple of different cuts of steak and bacon, currently, but my family has also tried some meats and now keeps hounding me about how I need to go to the sales every Friday before I come home and get them this, this, and this.

The availability is kind of iffy, because slaughter is scheduled around classes, so during the summer months pickings have been comparatively slim in the lamb and tenderloin steak departments. The freezer of pork products--ranging from hams to about four different types of sausages--looked pretty full on this past Friday when I was there. Lamb, I heard from the manager, will start being on the shelves probably around September or October.

That kind of makes sense because all of UGA's sheep lambed at the same time this year thanks to a test-run of a new estrous synchronization process.

Also...if you're down for choosing meat based on price over quality, you REALLY need to check out the retail meat sale at least once. The prices are really good-- as in, $11.99/lb tenderloin steaks good. And it's definitely a better cut than what you'll find at Kroger or IGA. I say that because my TV is constantly showing Kroger and IGA commercials for their meat prices, and from shopping at the eastside Kroger in Athens (whose meat choices, by the way, are slimmer than an anorexic person), it is not at all the same caliber you're going to find at UGA.

I actually am planning to do an article on the retail meat sales for the Red & Black at some point. My freshman year I had done interviews for it and everything, but never figured out the right angle to go at it from. One of the questions I asked was where the money from the meat sales went. The answer? Right back to the department, where it is distributed all the way from office supplies to gas for the vans that take students to their labs off-campus. So, by spending $42.35 on Friday afternoon (on 3 pounds of bacon, close to 5 pounds of tenderloin, and 2.5 pounds of bratwurst), I just bought myself some academic benefits somewhere down the line.

I don't think that the retail meat sales sale Kosher or Halal meat, because the slaughtering facility is so small compared to other industrial operations; and the meat is NOT organic, natural, grass-fed, or free-range (that's like grass-fed for pork, just FYI). All the animals harvested at UGA are owned by UGA, and the facility is operated like one that's actually in the industry. So all the inspectors and certifiers are there, and every record is kept according to USDA regulations.

I think I've done enough blabbering for the night. As a journalist, I really really really like having sources, so just talking my opinion bothers the bejeezus out of me, but there you have it. Here are the details if you need them, and if you get any meat from the sales, shoot me a comment/Facebook/Twitter thing and let me know what you think.

Location: Edgar C. Rhodes Animal Dairy Science building on River Road in Athens, Ga
Time: Fridays 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. (Yes, this means every Friday, except for holidays. So July 3 = no meat sale y'all...)

They take cash, checks, and credit/debit cards. Up until like 3 weeks ago they only took cash, so I basically victory danced outside the meat science facililty when I saw that sign. I never have cash, for some reason. But there is a big sign pointing to exactly where in the building the meat sales are so you don't get lost, which is pretty easy to do if you're not an ADSC major.

Oh--and one last thing. I only took one of these classes so far, but if you are interested in learning more and participating in the actual harvesting process (and eating) of livestock, here are some classes you might want to check out:

  • ADSC 1050: The Meat We Eat; 2 credit hours; fall semester
  • ADSC 2010-L: Introduction to Animal & Dairy Sciences; 4 credit hours, fall & spring (The first part of the class is meat production. I definitely got to butcher a pig. It was so cool.)
  • ADSC 3010-L: Meat Merchandising; 2 credit hours; fall semester
  • ADSC 3180-L: Meats Judging 1; 2 credit hours, fall semester
  • ADSC 3190-L: Meats Judging 2; 2 credit hours, spring semester
  • ADSC 3200-L: Evaluation and Composition; 3 credit hours, fall semster (This one is also lovingly referred to as Live/Dead)
  • ADSC(FDST) 3650-L: Introductory Meat Science; 3 credit hours, spring semester (Definitely taking this in the coming spring. Can't freakin wait.)
  • ADSC 3890: Animal Products in the Human Diet; 3 credit hours, fall semester
  • ADSC(FDST) 4140-L: Advanced Meat Science; 3 credit hours, spring semester
  • ADSC 4890: Advanced Meat Science; 3 credit hours, spring semester

The two Advanced Meat Science classes have different prerequesites. You can check out all the ADSC classes on the UGA bulletin.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm never in Athens, but if I ever find myself there, I'll be sure to hit up that market. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The meat truly seems fresher with greater attention spent on the preparation process. It cooks beautifully and tastes delicious- never tough and tasteless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to the choosing your cuts article.

    So are you planning on retiring from journalism as a food critic? ;) Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete